02 Jul Russells Hall Hospital: NHS trust admits failings following death of two patients | UK News
The mother of a teenage girl who died because of the “poor care and treatment” she received at a hospital in Dudley says she is “still angry” despite the trust admitting its guilt.
The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust admitted two breaches of the 2008 Health and Social Care Act during a hearing at the town’s magistrates’ court on Friday.
The charges resulted from an investigation by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) into the care provided by the trust before the deaths of mother-of-six Natalie Billingham and teenager Kaysie-Jane Robinson (formerly known as Kaysie-Jane Bland).
The Dudley Group Trust’s lawyer, Paul Spencer, said the trust accepted that “poor care and treatment” of Kaysie-Jane had caused her death.
But Mr Spencer added that the organisation’s guilty plea in respect of Natalie Billingham was being entered on the basis that it did not accept that its failings led to her death.
Speaking after the hearing, Kaysie-Jane’s mother, Jane Robinson, told Sky News she was pleased with the outcome, but is still angry.
“I’m angry that the NHS have put me through this for the last three years before finally admitting they were at fault,” she said.
“They’ve put me through so much stress and anxiety at a time when I was grieving for my daughter.
“Kaysie-Jane was an angel who meant everything to me. So, yes, I’m still angry.”
The charges admitted by the trust stated that it had failed to provide treatment in a safe way, resulting in harm, in February and March 2018.
In a statement issued earlier this year, the CQC said it had brought the prosecution following two specific incidents in which patients died at Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley.
A previous hearing was told by counsel for the CQC, Ian Bridge, that the charges related to clinical care given to 33-year-old Ms Billingham before her death, and to Kaysie-Jane, who was 14 when she died.
He told the court both patients had been treated for sepsis.
Adjourning the case involving the Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust, which was not opened by the prosecution, District Judge Graham Wilkinson described the proceedings as “the most serious case this court is likely to deal with in many a year”.
The trust said in a statement: “We are deeply sorry that our care did not meet the high standards Kaysie-Jane and Natalie and their families had a right to expect and did not reflect the values of our Trust.
“Today’s hearing is an important part of the process that has investigated what happened, provides an opportunity to reiterate our apology to Kaysie-Jane and Natalie’s families and demonstrates the major steps we have taken to invest in and improve our services since 2018.
“We have been open and sincere over the last three years about what went wrong, what we have learned and how we have improved.
“The trust continues to work closely with CQC and we want to reassure our patients and the public that the hospital provides a safe and compassionate environment for their care.”
A further case management hearing will take place at the same court on 3 September.