28 Aug Princess Diana statue commissioned by William and Harry to be installed on her 60th birthday | UK News
A statue of Princess Diana commissioned by her sons William and Harry will be installed on what would have been her 60th birthday next year, it has been announced.
Kensington Palace said it will now take place on 1 July 2021 with a ceremony in the Sunken Garden at the palace.
This Monday marks 23 years since Diana was killed in a car crash in Paris, when Princes William and Harry were aged just 15 and 12 respectively.
The Duke of Cambridge and Duke of Sussex have previously said it is the right time to recognise their mother’s positive impact “in the UK and around the world”.
In a joint statement when the project was announced, William and Harry said: “Our mother touched so many lives. We hope the statue will help all those who visit Kensington Palace to reflect on her life and her legacy.”
The statue was created by renowned artist Ian Rank-Broadley, whose portrait of the Queen appears on all UK coins.
Earlier this month it was reported that William and Harry did not speak for two months after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were stepping down as senior royals.
Harry and Meghan’s decision to reveal their plans to quit without warning the Royal Family caused the most upset with William, said Omid Scobie, co-author of Finding Freedom, which chronicles the Sussexes’ lives as royals.
Harry and Meghan released their surprise statement about wanting to step down as senior royals in January, prompting the Queen to call a meeting at Sandringham with the duke, his older brother and their father, the Prince of Wales.
The couple’s final public engagement as royals was the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in March, where Kate was accused in the book of barely acknowledging her sister-in-law.